There are a number of fantastic beaches in Cornwall, many of which are ideal for days out with family and friends. Knowing how to stay safe can really improve your time at the beach. Instead of being worried about the possible dangers, you can relax knowing that you are well prepared.
Top Tips for Staying Safe at the Beach in Cornwall
- Choose a Lifeguarded Beach – If you choose a lifeguarded beach, you can relax knowing that there are trained professionals available if anything were to happen. Though not all beaches in Cornwall have lifeguards year round, many do during the busiest months.
- Understand Signs and Flags – On lifeguarded beaches in Cornwall there will be an array of signs and flags. These are there to let you know if it’s safe to go into the water. By taking the time to understand what each of these mean, you’ll have greater knowledge of whether or not you should be swimming. By swimming in areas that have been marked as safe, you can enjoy the beach without worrying.
- Keep an Eye Out for Strong Currents – There’s always the risk of strong currents at the beach, which is why you should keep an eye out for them. Strong currents can quickly drag you out to sea and this can have serious consequences. If you are unsure about what to do in a strong current, speak to the lifeguards on duty.
- Supervise Children at All Times – Beaches in Cornwall can become very busy, especially when the weather is good. This means that it’s easy to lose sight of where children are. It only takes a few seconds for children to meet with danger, so it’s best to supervise them at all times.
- Consider Your Swimming Abilities – Before getting into the water, consider the swimming abilities of you and your family. If you are not a strong swimmer, avoid going too far out to sea or swimming in areas with deep water. Swimming in the sea is a lot more difficult than swimming in a pool.
You won’t be short of beaches to explore in Cornwall, which is great news if you’re heading to the area for the first time. When you are in Cornwall, pop in and see us at Healey’s Cyder Farm. With a tonne of things to do, it’s sure to be a fantastic day that you’ll enjoy. To find out more, get in touch.